According to the ADA’s Health Policy Institute, the percentage of oral surgeons considering themselves to be not busy enough is higher than any other dental specialty, with an average new patient wait time of 5.8 days, as opposed to a new patient wait time of 9.8 days for an endodontist. Increasing patient volume is important to survive and thrive for many of the approximately 7,500 oral surgeons practicing in the U.S., 94% of whom operate independently.
As other dental specialties add overlapping services driving increased competition, a newly formed oral surgery DSO is trying to provide a competitive advantage and scalable solutions which are needed to outpace market uncertainty, while also offering additional revenue opportunities.
Headquartered in Irving, Texas, U.S. Oral Surgery Management (USOSM) is a brand new specialty management services company which partners with oral and maxillofacial surgeons throughout the United States to offer a solution in a healthcare landscape which has becomes more competitive, with increased regulatory complexities. USOSM intends to preserve clinical autonomy while providing operational, marketing and administrative support services, as well as reinvestment resources and equity ownership.
In July 2018, USOSM secured partnerships with two multi-surgeon practices in Texas: Austin Oral Surgery, which has 13 board-certified, maxillofacial surgeons and 12 locations throughout Central Texas; and Oral Surgery Associates of North Texas (OSANT), which has five board-certified, oral surgeons and five locations in Dallas, Texas.
In early August, 2018, OSOSM formed a partnership with High Plains Oral and Facial Surgeons, which has locations in Amarillo and Pampa, Texas.
Just recently, USOSM completed its executive management team, which is comprised of nine business leaders, with the addition of Richard Hall. (See complete executive management team list below.)
To ensure good patient outcomes guide their decision making, USOSM requires surgeon representation in their governance through active participation on their Clinical Governance Board. The Clinical Governance Board provides a voice in the management of a broad range of network activities including, clinical quality standards, compliance assessments, and professional development through continuing education programs and study clubs.
The USOSM executive team:
- Richard Hall, President and CEO
- Michael Dewey, Chief Financial Officer
- Courtney Harman, Chief Operating Officer
- Colin S. Bell, DDS, MSD, Chief Clinical Officer
- Chad Ehmke, Chief Information Officer
- Jim Sloan, Vice President of Business Development
- Todd Nickerson, Vice President of Business Development
- Annette Igl, Vice President of Human Resources
- Lisa Fine, Vice President of Marketing
The six oral surgery groups USOSM is currently managing:
- Oral Surgery Associates of North Texas with five locations
- High Plains Oral & Facial Surgeons with two locations
- Alamo Maxillofacial Surgical Associates with three locations
- Northern Texas Facial & Oral Surgery with three locations
- Waco Oral Surgery & Dental Implants
- Austin Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with twelve locations
Looking for a Job? Looking to Fill a Job? We can help:
Subscribe for free to the leading DSO enewsletter: